These raw vegan coconut bonbons are delicate, melt in your mouth candies with a strong coconutty flavor and a vanilla note on the finish. Meant to imitate the Rafaello bonbons, the almond in the middle ensures for the crunchy texture.
Like all the raw vegan energy balls, they are easy-to-make and only require a few ingredients, all of them being natural and from the super foods category. This means we will not only have some exquisite, delicious sweets, but we can also consider them guilt-free, healthy and energizing. And needles to say, they will make the best treat for your guests as they are surprisingly pretty and so delicate.
Recipes developed by Romanian raw vegan chef Anca Alungulesei
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil or butter (room temperature)
- The white flesh of a hard, brown coconut, cleaned from the brown shell, blended OR 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- about 15 raw almonds (or cashew nuts, peanuts etc)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey/maple syrup/agave syrup (I prefer honey for the taste, but in order to make this 100% vegan, you can use agave or maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Put the coconut white flesh chunks in the blender and blend them well, until you get a powder consistency, transfer it to a bowl.
- Then add the coconut oil + honey + vanilla to the blender and mix well. Transfer the coconut powder (from step 1) back to the blender little by little until incorporated.
- Let the mixture rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Then take the almonds, one by one, form a bonbon around it from the mixture & roll it in the shredded coconut. Serve immediately or keep in the fridge.